Powered By Blogger

Monday 10 September 2012

Elizabeth Barret Browning



This is my design for a quote from the Browning poem which has been rattling round my head for the last month. I did a sketch for a client for the back of a memorial headstone with this quote, but in a very much more formal hand, so then took the opportunity to draw something a little free for my own amusement and then coloured it in with calligraphy ink. I've set this out on a small piece of slate to carve, and may well develop the design further, carving it in a bigger tablet of green Westmoreland slate.



And here is my carving, executed in a piece of black Cumbrian slate. I may well gild 'afire' and 'God', and perhaps carve this again in a pale stone so that I can paint the letters red, as per my sketch above.

No comments:

Post a Comment