Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 26 June 2012

Roman Lettering

Here is a simple little stone I've carved in a pastiche of a classical Roman inscription.
For this commission I've gone right back to basics and used so-called 'Trajan' Roman letters. Shown here is the slab of Portland stone on my wooden easel. Above left my sketch, and above right a copy of Eric Gill's drawing of the Trajan alphabet for inspiration. I've just started in this photo to set out the inscription. All lettering is drawn free-hand using nothing more than a steady hand and a pencil. 


The finished carved stone set outside on one of the rare sunny mornings we've enjoyed this June!


Another view of the same inscription.


All roads lead to Rome! There is something very satisfying about going back to these lovely letter-forms. A good understanding of Roman letters helps to inform the rest of my lettered work and I must confess that I never tire of Roman letters. They do seem to have fallen out of favour somewhat amongst some of my peers in the world of fine letter-cutting, but sooner or later they will come back into fashion again; they always do...!

No comments:

Post a Comment