Powered By Blogger

Friday 18 November 2011

Skulls

I've always had a particular fondness for memorials with depictions of skulls!
Here are a few choice 17th & 18th century examples from various locations across the south of England.



St Mary the Virgin, Bramshott, Hampshire



Detail from a box tomb, St Margaret of Antioch, Chilmark, Wiltshire.



St Mary's, Westerham, Kent.


St Mary's, Westerham, Kent.



Great Bedwyn, Wiltshire.


Great Bedwyn, Wiltshire.


Portsmouth Cathedral, Hampshire



Portsmouth Cathedral



Portsmouth Cathedral








2 comments:

  1. I'm fascinated by the Walter Hart memorial and its use of color.

    You've inspired me -- I promise to get around to uploading my images from various NEW England burial grounds and will come back with a link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Thanks for sharing. I've always loved gravestones myself. I don't think I've ever seen one here in New England or Florida (places I've lived) with skulls on it. Even in the very old cemetaries. I'm going to havhe to pay attention...

    ReplyDelete