Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 13 September 2011

love thy neighbour

Following the recent anniversary of the September 11th attacks on the World Trade centre I was wondering about this lesson. 'Love your neighbour as yourself'.
Of course, this is great advice and wouldn't the World be a happier place if we did so?
However I think most of us do love others as we love ourselves. That is; those who are filled with love and joy, give that to others. People who have love at the centre of their lives rarely hold it back. Conversely, those who are full of bitterness, self-loathing and their own demons of worthlessness often reflect that onto those around them. People who hate themselves frequently love their neighbours as they do indeed 'love' themselves.
Did the people responsible for the 9/11 attacks have a loving relationship with a loving God at the centre of their lives? Were they filled with the unconditional love of their beautiful creator? Somehow I imagine not.
I'm sure they were driven by faith. But faith in what I cannot say. Faith in righteousness born of revenge?

Love your neighbour.

But first we need to learn HOW to truly love ourselves. Not in a narcissistic way of self adoration, but in a wholesome self fulfilling and self accepting way. Difficult I know!
And just how do we really learn to love ourselves?
I couldn't really love myself until I accepted that God loves me. I mean REALLY loves me. Not just tolerates me. Or puts up with me. Or likes me a bit because He has to.
God really, really, really loves me. And you! And everyone you know. Including all the nasty, horrible folk you might be thinking of. Yes, them too.
Only when we can all fully realise this incredible fact can we ever hope to create a World of love. When we KNOW we are loved and love ourselves it is so much easier to love others.
I still find it hard to love myself as much as God loves me. But, I am constantly reminded of His incredible powerful love through the example of Jesus. His sacrifice says it all. Do you doubt that God loves you? Well, take another look at the gospels and read about this Jesus who gave everything just to prove to you how special you really are.
God loves you. God loves terrorists. However many times we screw up; He is always looking on at us with love in His heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment